General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)
Ruth Jefferson Racing & Bloodstock is committed to protecting and respecting the privacy and security of your personal data. This Notice explains who we are, the types of information we hold, how we use it, who we share it with and how long we keep it.
This document sets out the basis upon which any personal data we hold about you will be processed.
The rules on processing of personal data are set out in the General Data Protection Regulations (a copy of which can be found on the ICO website www.ico.org.uk)
This Notice also informs you of certain rights you have regarding your personal data under the General Data Protection Regulations 2018.
Who we are
Ruth Jefferson Racing & Bloodstock is the controller of the personal data we hold on you and this means we decide how your personal data is processed and for what purposes.
For all data protection matters contact Ruth Jefferson Racing & Bloodstock, Newstead Cottage Stables, Norton, Malton, North Yorkshire. YO17 9PJ.
A copy of our data protection policy is available from Ruth Jefferson Racing & Bloodstock.
This is the Privacy Notice for Ruth Jefferson Racing & Bloodstock. In this document “we”, “our” or “us” refers to Ruth Jefferson Racing & Bloodstock.
This is a notice to inform you of our policy regarding the information we record about you. It sets out the conditions under which we may process any personal information that we collect from you, or that you provide to us.
At Ruth Jefferson Racing & Bloodstock we are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy. We take this responsibility very seriously.
We will only use your personal information to deliver the services you have requested from us, and to meet our legal responsibilities.
This Privacy Notice explains when and why we collect personal information about you, how we use it, the conditions under which we may disclose it to others and how we keep it secure.
Our Policy complies with UK Law, accordingly implemented, including that required by the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). We are required to inform you of your rights and our obligations to you in regard to the processing and control of your personal data
What information do we collect and how do we collect it?
We only collect basic personal data about you which you have provided to us or which is provided to us by the British Horseracing Authority, Weatherbys Bank or other party instructed by you to share information with us or otherwise properly shared with us in accordance with data protection regulations.
This data includes your name, address, email, phone number and any other contact information you have provided to us.
We will ensure that we only process data which is adequate, relevant to our purposes and limited to what is necessary for those purposes – we will not ask for more information than we need in order to carry out our business operations.
We will take steps to ensure that personal data is accurate and (where necessary) kept up to date. We request that you provide us with any change in contact details or personal information.
Your image may be recorded on CCTV when you visit the yard.
We may collect your social media username if you interact with us through those channels.
How and why we use your data
We will use your personal data:
- to communicate with you
- to provide services to you in connection with our business as a licensed racehorse trainer including race entries and associated administration, sales entries and associated administration
- for security purposes we operate CCTV which records images. In addition such images may be used by us in connection with a staff disciplinary issue, an investigation by the BHA or other regulator or any alleged criminal act]
- your photograph and name on our website, social media and other communications to the public
Our lawful basis for processing your data
We will process your data on the following basis:
- where it is necessary for us to comply with a legal obligation
- where it is necessary for us to process your data for the performance of our contract with you or to take steps to enter into that contract with you, and
- where it is necessary for the purposes of our legitimate interests or those of a third party, except where such interests are overridden by you interests or fundamental rights or freedoms. These legitimate interests will include obligations upon us to comply with the British Horseracing Authority’s rules of racing and any other racing regulator’s rules if a horse trained by us for you is subject to such rules. This will include providing any information requested from us by the BHA or other racing regulator in connection with the operation of the rules of racing, enquiries or disciplinary matters.
Securing your data
We have procedures for the storage and disclosure of your personal data in place to oversee the effective and secure processing of the data.
We store some personal data on mobile phones which use pin protection and/or fingerprint and face recognition.
Any data that is stored on a computer, is password protected and in locked premises with CCTV protection.
All IT Systems are to be installed, maintained, serviced, repaired and upgraded by Ruth Jefferson Racing & Bloodstock or by such third party/parties as the Company may from time to time authorise.
When we use our third-party service providers, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram websites we disclose only the personal information that is necessary to deliver the service and we have a contract in place that requires them to keep your information secure.
We do not transfer personal data outside the EEA.
Sharing your information
We will only share your data with third parties or allow access to your data where:
- We are legally required to do so
- We are required to do so to enable us to properly perform your contract with us. This could, for example, include sharing your personal data with veterinary surgeons and sales companies.
- We are required to do so under the BHA rules of racing or other racing regulatory body in the case of overseas racing
We may also share your information with anyone you have authorised to deal with us on your behalf.
What are your rights?
You have the right to request a copy of the personal data we hold about you and if it is incorrect or out of date to have it corrected or deleted.
The right to request your personal data is erased where it is no longer necessary to retain such data.
In most cases consent is not required for standard business activities involving the use of customer or supplied data but if we have asked you for your consent to our processing any personal data we hold about you, then under data protection law you have the right to change or withdraw your consent.
How long do we keep your information for?
We will not keep your personal information longer than is necessary for the purpose for which it was provided unless we are required by law or have other legitimate reason to keep it for longer.
We will normally keep information for no more than 6 years after termination or cancellation of the contract or service we provide
Changes to our Privacy Notice
We keep this Privacy Notice under regular review and will place any updates on https://www.ruthjefferson.co.uk. Paper copies of the Privacy Notice may also be obtained by request from our office, please see contact information below.
This privacy notice was last updated in August 2018.
How to make a complaint
If you wish to raise a complaint on how we have handled your personal data, you can contact us to have the matter investigated – please contact us at: Ruth Jefferson Racing & Bloodstock, Newstead Cottage Stables, Norton, Malton, North Yorkshire YO17 9PJ or via telephone 01653-697225
If this does not resolve your complaint to your satisfaction, you have the right to lodge a complaint with the Information Commission’s Office on 0303 123 113 or by post to the ICO, Wycliffe House, Water Lane, Wilmslow, Cheshire SK9 5AF or via email https://ico.org.uk.